Wednesday, February 11, 2009

m2eclipse project configurator for PMD

I am a big Maven 2 believer and have found the m2eclipse plugin from Sonatype to be a very impressive piece of code. One of its many nice design points is the ability to contribute configurators that can configure an eclipse project based on the maven project model. I have been working with the PMD maintainer to create one for the PMD plugin.

Unfortunately, we have hit a bit of a snag. I only have some pretty basic experience developing eclipse plugins and it seems like we've hit a bug.

The PMD eclipse plugin has been built in such a way that it wraps a number of jars internally. In the manifest.mf file it exposes the packages necessary to integrate with it but I still get compilation errors within Eclipse when trying to access those packages.

Interestingly, if I import the source of the PMD eclipse plugin into my eclipse workspace, it is able to resolve the imports no problem - and successfully launch eclipse with the plugin. So far, Google hasn't given me any answers on this one so I need to do some digging.

Any thoughts, please send them over.

No comments: